About Me

My photo
Mormon. Husband, and Father. Graduate student pursuing a Master's in nutrition.

Friday, May 25, 2012

A Dying Art

I went and got myself a new... hobby? Is shaving a hobby? According to those I've spoken to, forums I've perused, and the many youtube video's I've browsed, yes, yes it is. And while it has potential to become expensive, it has only been affordable for me.
This razor here is a 1959 Gillette Super Speed that I paid $8.00 for with free shipping. Mine is a flare-tip (as opposed to a 3-piece) and in general this style shaver is referred to as a "Double Edge Razor", "DE Razor", or "Safety Razor". The razor blades I ordered came in a set of 10 and cost $3 and some change! So far, not too expensive! 
From what I've learned it get's expensive when you begin accessorizing and getting more accustomed to this form of shaving. I haven't yet gotten a brush, a mug, shave soap or cream, any moisturizers or after shaves. This shaver is also very basic. I'd eventually like an adjustable Safety Razor where you can change the "aggressiveness" of the blade, making for a closer shave. But comfort behind the handle is required for more aggressive blade set-ups. I'd also like a straight razor, but will move up to that through this experience.
Straight Razor VS Safety Razor: These differ very little according to what I've read. With the straight razor you still need all of the above mentioned accessories, but there's an additional need for a hone (sharpening rock), and strop (leather strap used to refine the sharpening). The benefit is that there is no need to buy razors at all, you just sharpen it yourself. Unless you get the type allowing for replacement blades, in which case it's similar to the DE.
As far as shave quality: it seems to come down to personal preference. Some say there is no significant difference in shaves, some prefer the shave of the safety razor, while others prefer the straight razor.
I wish I could be more credible, so far all I'm telling you is what I've read, which you, yourself, could just go do. But for what it's worth, this is all that I've researched and retained and here it is in one simple place for you viewing pleasure.
In the meantime, I'll start shaving with this and move eagerly and cautiously through this new world I've dived headfirst into. 




 Twisting the bottom opens the flare-tip



This is a 1959, so be understanding toward the bit of tarnish you see here.
Taken with 2 other familiar objects to see it's sizing.

This was a blog for the men out there, so I'll wrap up with recommending you try it out. So far, I've spent less than $15 on a shaver and 10 blades (each one is 2 sided!). With the Schick Quattro, or Gillette Mach 3 you're using, you're probably spending $15-$20 on a pack of 4-8 cartridges. They sell you on the "4 blades" pizzazz, but we all know how obnoxious it is when our cut off whiskers get stuck in those little gaps between each blade.
Hope you enjoyed and learned something. Hit me up if you have any questions.

Special thanks to:
Matt Roberts for reminding me I wanted to look into these

Jonathan Crouse for being my 1st resource
After warning me of the addiction and joy of this form of shaving he said, "You've waded into murky water my friend, welcome to the darkside."

Tucker Garrett for being my 2nd resource
He summed it up beautifully. "It is SO satisfying to shave with shaving soap, a brush, and a razor that could potentially cut your face off. I feel so much manlier in the mornings. And I listen to Johnny Cash while I shave."

Informative websites:
www.badgerandblade.com
www.straightrazorplace.com
www.artofmanliness.com

No comments:

Post a Comment