About Me

My photo
Mormon. Husband, and Father. Graduate student pursuing a Master's in nutrition.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Post Finals

What should I be doing when I'm sick? Sarah and my doctor have similar opinions that differ from that of friends of mine out here. Today I got a text that read, "Spear fishing", from a friend of mine. Not a question. Not an answer to a question. Not even a complete sentence with punctuation. Could have been a suggestion, or even a demand. But there was one certainty: it was an excuse for me to get out of the house. And that I did. Matt Roberts, and David Stephen and I went out to Bikini Beach to hunt like men. And like men we did hunt. And like hunting men with little experience spearfishing, we came back empty handed. And like men coming back empty handed we lied about the fish that barely got away. Only kidding about the lying part, but really, I almost got one...
Even when coming back empty handed it's such an awesome experience. It requires such focus for me to relax in that environment, and I think that's part of the appeal. I find that my jaw is clinched and takes much effort to lessen the bite, trusting that water won't rush through the snorkel. It's tempting to just kick as hard as I can to maintain a position in the moving current; to maintain control. When I want to just settle and let the tide hold me for a bit. It's so soothing when I can just chill for a second and hear my breathing, and know that I'm managing my nerves in, what seems to be, an unmanageable environment. Not to mention the fact that it can be done while I'm envisioning how a shark attack might go down.
Now, back to what should I be doing? This is the perfect opportunity to catch up on some reading.


When I'd rather be reading these... (part of Sarah's teaching paraphernalia)

It's about time I start practicing and applying the material covered in this...
It's kind of got pictures too, but they're a bit different. Things more pertaining to Organic Chemistry, Gen. Chemistry, Biology, and Perceptual Ability. And not so much about Naughty Kitten, Twinkle The Tooth Fairy, or Little Donkey Learns To Help; just a few of the titles in Sarah's collection.

So that's where I stand today: I'm sick, and I want to use this time to study up a bit on the DAT I'll have to take soon enough (not until next year).

In pregnancy news: Sarah is 13 weeks along and our baby is the size of a shrimp. She's still queasy. Hasn't had any crazy cravings. Certain smells don't seem to drive her crazy. She does say her "skin is different" meaning she definitely doesn't like being touched a whole lot right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment