About Me

My photo
Mormon. Husband, and Father. Graduate student pursuing a Master's in nutrition.

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Changing Careers

*Sawyer update at the bottom

I’m writing to make a thought on my mind an official proclamation. For the past year, if not more, the task of becoming a dentist transitioned from being an exciting adventure into a daunting weight on my shoulders. I’m not sure what caused it; I haven’t yet pinpointed it (the obvious thing may be that the requirements are hard; but they have been manageable, it’s something more than that). For some reason, it began to feel obligatory, and forced; it was a chore to stay excited about going dental, but I knew it was what my family and I had planned on me doing, so I kept the thought there (secretly hoping I would discover something else).
Granted, I have not yet shadowed, so to say, “I know I won’t like it”, is not true at all. But I had to be truthful with myself, and the truth was, I wasn’t interested in finding out anymore, as I once was; I didn’t care to learn more about it. The sole reasons I wanted to be a dentist had nothing to do with the actual day-to-day work I would be doing, it had more to do with the lifestyle it would create: flexible schedule, opportunity to help and even travel, I could be my own boss, I could be in a position of influence, dentists will always be needed, and of course the pay was great to name a few.
Early on in my decision, I was excited about shadowing; I was excited about learning what the field would look like through the lens of the achieved dentist. Somewhere in the last year though, the idea of shadowing lost its excitement and I was no longer curious about it. I’m left to think it must have been my exposure to different careers, different topics through my coursework, different applications of what I had been learning, and of course mingling with many different students in the same classes, though all aiming toward different careers. My mind, and the possibilities, had been opened.

So what will I be going into now?

As is mentioned in my last blog, I ran a half marathon in March. That must have done me in because since then I have only run 5 times, if that, and most of them were sprints. Although the running kind of trailed off, there was a fresh resolve placed within me that has not yet left. 

On February 25th, I began a new 5-week weight lifting program (read about it here). It’s now June 23rd, and I have, to my complete surprise, stuck with it. I have created a few more programs ranging from 3-5 weeks, and I have incorporated healthy eating, focusing on protein intake accompanied by many fruits and vegetables (I have learned that healthy eating is far simpler than it’s ever made out to be. Not easy, but simple), and trying to decrease carbs, fats, and simple sugars. I can expound more on my ideals with diet, but I’ll save that for a later entry. The point being, I have stuck with this. I have found it fascinating. I have spent my spare time researching different tips and meals for healthy eating. My classes this summer have begun to touch a bit more on things such as break down and synthesis of amino acids, and metabolism will be heavily covered in upcoming semesters. I recently did research, by assignment, comparing sucralose (splenda) verses sucrose to determine if I personally would take splenda. I have loved these topics. I didn’t realize until about 3 weeks ago, that this topic of diet, fitness, and nutrition have sort of taken over me. It then entered my mind that I might find it beneficial to further expand my knowledge on this topic, and see to making this my career. 

So, there you have it, what has unfolded and evolved from my time at BYU-Hawaii, is that I am now directed my efforts toward becoming a Registered Dietitian. I’m in the process of looking up programs to determine which I will apply to. From what I have seen, they are typically 2 years, and many will include an 8-12 month internship, followed by an exam qualifying me for my RD certification. Along with this, I will be getting my Personal Training certification as to make my skill-sets well rounded on diet and fitness, and I’ll begin to help others reach their goals pertaining to health, either by doctors orders, or simply personal goals to be healthier. This is all new, and I still intend to complete my biochemistry degree here. I have much to learn about what this field includes. I could work at hospitals, schools, nursing homes, gyms, private practice, or practically any business where a cafeteria, or meal plan, needs to be created.

I’ll close this off with a theory of mine, and make the follow up my next entry. Tony Horton, if you know P90X, you know Tony Horton: He is in stellar shape and his enthusiasm and optimism make him an incredible coach to working out, and quite the poster boy for the 90-day workout videos. He is a prime example of someone with dedication who has achieved phenomenal results. My theory though, is that you don’t need professional videos to achieve desired results. Seek professional help to insure proper form, so as to avoid injury, but as far as shaping your body, there is free information out there if you need ideas, and you can do it, it's just a matter of your own will power. If videos are how you like to work out however, then by all means, keep at it!
Because I know the day I started working out this year, and because I document my workouts and record what I did, I can determine my 90th day. My belief is that, although professional videos present rigorous workouts, with top shape models in them, those videos are not the only way you too can look great. I have about 5 weeks until my 90th day, but for now I’ll post my before and during picture. I am at about 10% body fat, and am shooting for 6-8%. I have gained almost 10 pounds, and I have felt incredible. I’m obviously not a professional, and I accept advice and tips all the time. But I have been persistent. A friend of mine recently sent me a picture after our having this discussion, the picture had a river, and the words, “Strength: a river cuts through a rock not because of its power, but its persistence”, that is what I have learned first and foremost (second bit of wisdom is how crucial accountability is in creating habits; work out with a friend!). Expect the final picture in a little over a month. Until then, just stay persistent, and results will come!


This is what has consumed me, and what I have thoroughly enjoyed. If you have any bits of advice, or want to share your understanding and tricks in the realm of diet and fitness, please do!


I really debated whether or not to share these, because I, personally, find pictures like this pompous. A friend of mine reminded me that if people are interested enough to click this link, then they are likely interested in my progress and achievements. I hope you receive this progress-share in the right light. In the first picture, taken near the start of the year, I was about 143 lbs. In the 2nd I had been focusing on working out, and just getting as many calories as I could (around 3000/day for a while). In the 3rd, taken a few days ago, I had been focussing more on quality of food. This is where I'm about 10% body fat, and about 151 lbs. I had not done cardio leading to the 3rd picture and was working out about 3 times a week. As of last week I have begun swimming as well as working out for 45 minutes twice a day.





*I don't know what I last updated on. Sawyer is not still; he is all over the place every waking moment. He LOVES other babies, but sometimes that love scares them. He always wants to climb on them, or be right up in their face, and they just think he's a little too cray cray. He's babbling a lot, eating solids, and using sippy cups with our help. He now has two bottom teeth, he pulls up on anything he can reach, and he loves to smile and laugh. He is a very independent baby and does fine entertaining himself amongst his shoes, stuffed animals, and books (and empty water bottles, old pizza boxes, and tupperware).

1 comment: