About Me

My photo
Mormon. Husband, and Father. Graduate student pursuing a Master's in nutrition.

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Saturday's Just Got Better

I recently looked up more information on dental schools. At first I became very overwhelmed, as is often my response at looking up what it takes to be a dentist. But today I did something that will help to prepare me. My life is now on paper in a way it's never been recorded, nor lived.
What you see here is not AT ALL how I currently live, but it does contain in it exactly where I'd like to be; where I need to be. I read an article titled, "How Dental School Works" by a dentist named Dr. Jerry Gordon. One thing he mentioned is that dental school students, as well as college students desiring to be dentists, need to have schedules where they don't have any places where they could waste time; time needs to be the most precious commodity and to be treated as such. He then states, "In college, you may have four hours of lecture four days a week; take about 32 credit hours per year, and have three and a half months off during the summer. In dental school, you have nine hours of lecture and/or lab five days a week, take about 100 credit hours per year, and have only a couple of weeks off in the summer. In college, many students take a part time job. In dental school, that is next to impossible."
So, in an attempt to utalize the time I'm given in the most academically fruitful way, this is my experiment (it's ironic the amount of hours that went into creating this):
This may be way out of my grasp, but I'll never know unless I try. It looks busy to me, but maybe it really isn't so much. I've been advised by a dear friend and mentor to treat my school as a job, arrive in the morning and work for a minimum of 8 hours; there is always work that can be done. He fairly added, "after those hours go home, have fun, you're finished for the day".
As I feel this out, things will be rearranged as needed. In the mean time, if you pray, pray for me because I'll need it! If you don't pray, pray for me because I'll need it...

No comments:

Post a Comment