About Me

My photo
Mormon. Husband, and Father. Graduate student pursuing a Master's in nutrition.

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Becoming A Runner

First and foremost, SAWYER IS ROLLING BACK TO FRONT!!
For the past few weeks he's been rocking to fetal position, getting stuck on his shoulder just before going belly side down, then crashing again to his back where he started. He just turned 4 months and we weren't really expecting success for another month or so. However, when we found him on his stomach in his crib, after being certain we left him on his back, we knew we needed to start keeping an eye out.
Small tangent... this got me thinking about all that our children ("our" as a people, not just Sarah and I), will experience without our knowing. They will have moments of success, and moments of failure, many of which will occur unbeknownst to the parents. Sawyer had apparently already rolled from back to his stomach, but in his pre and post nap loneliness the experiences were his own. It reminds me that as a parent I can't get down on him about all the times he'll inevitably fail, nor can I beat myself up for missing any of the times he will succeed. Whether in the gospel, school, his role as a big brother, any jobs he may have, or any other role he takes on in life, he'll be racked with not only the success and failure that we will likely be aware of as caretakers, but he'll also have many that are his, and his alone; it is up to him to take his experiences and to learn from them, not for us to praise or reprimand at the close of every experience. That's a somewhat incoherent thought that I could likely expound much more upon, but I'll stop.
Anyway, Sawyer is 4 months and 6 days old, and can repeatedly roll from back to front (video below).

In fitness news, I have just completed 1 week and 1 day of the program I made. In line with my goal to go to the gym 3 days a week and run the other 3 (resting on Sunday), I started at the gym last Wednesday and have followed the program very well. Last night marked my 4th gym day, and tonight marked my 4th run; a friend and I did sprints on a small soccer field, and it brought my weekly total to 11.07 miles completed. I've attached some of the statistics that show myself stacked up against others in the community (according to "Nike+Running"), and I feel pretty excited about what it's showing! I've never considered myself a runner, but when someone asked me today "are you a runner?" I found myself feeling more confident in saying, "Yeah, I run", (still hesitant to call myself a "runner" though). Keep in mind, I literally ran last year maybe 3 times and it was likely a 1-way run where I wasn't "exercising", but rather getting somewhere faster than walking. And that was a normal year; I can safely call that my trend for the past 5 years. The picture I'm trying to paint is that I HATED running; despised it.
Since January 4th though, I've gone on 13 runs and accomplished 38.28 logged miles. I give full credit to Nike+Running. Sarah can vouch for that. Being able to compete against friends, and to see my runs has made all the difference and I recommend it to anyone who wants to run but isn't quite sure how to get started (Nike+Running seems iOS based, but I know there are several droid running apps; I just don't know them).
As far as the gym days, Monday I do triceps/biceps, Wednesday I do legs, and Friday I do chest and back. Each day consists of about 14 exercises, and takes between 45 min to an hour and 45 min so far. I have been sore for a week straight, and for those of you familiar with Tony Horton, "I hate it, but I love it".
Photo update to come. I anticipate I'll take a new picture on a monthly basis to compare with the 1st day photo. But for your enjoyment, I'll add a picture from the horrendous mid-day run I went on with Sawyer that expresses quite well how we each felt afterward.









No comments:

Post a Comment