About Me

My photo
Mormon. Husband, and Father. Graduate student pursuing a Master's in nutrition.

Friday, June 15, 2012

Seeking The Joy In Reading

Self realization 1,181,003. That's not a real number, well, not that I'm aware of. But posting self realizations would be a cool concept to the blog.
Sarah and I are watching It's Me Or The Dog. It went to a commercial, and I immediately wanted to pick up my computer and start clicking around: e-mail, check for grades, youtube, check the blog, etc. I caught myself and said to Sarah, "Sar! Look at this, it's 2 seconds into a commercial, and I'm already picking up my computer to find more entertainment. Why is that?!" She accurately responded, "you're just bored".
While talking with a friend several years ago he taught me one of the reasons television is so captivating is simply because it's always moving. The pixels are never still, and because of that, it's appealing to the mind. Always changing, always new colors, usually bright, and it engages our sense of sound as well.
This instance was in close proximity to Sarah telling me, "Oh, when I go home [for the baby shower], I'm taking your angel book back", which of course, I now have a rant about.
The "angel book" is called "Hush Hush" and is by Becca Fitzpatrick. It's about a fallen angel, and I know little more than that because I've only read the 1st several pages a couple different times when I wanted to start reading again. This book is the one book squeezed amongst others such as Pregnancy Dos And Don'ts, Your Week By Week Pregnancy, What To Expect When You're Expecting, Chicken Soup For The Girlfriends Soul, and Mennonite In A Little Black Dress that I can claim as mine. I served in an area in Fort Collins where the author of the book was in my ward. I got to meet she and her family (who are all awesome by the way), found out she was an author, bought the book and got it signed with the promise that I'd read it ("9-16-10 To Elder Zachary Zimmerman, Thanks for coming to dinner and being our politest elder yet! B. Fitzpatrick"). I pressed on with Sarah that she could not and would not be taking that book home; it's the only thing that makes me feel remotely intelligent on a shelf of books read by my wife. Granted, there are a few gospel books that I brought to the equation but as far as leisurely reading, this is the extent of it.

 Becca told my companion and I that this picture is actually
an upside down copy of the original.

Try these out if you're looking for your next series.
Hush Hush, Crescendo, Silence, and Finale this fall.


My realization is this: I'm like unto a child in yet another way. Why do I need to be constantly entertained by brightly moving pixels? And why does a few seconds away from a program make me itch like I'm going through withdraws? This book is a new goal of mine as a past time. Something away from bright flashy pixels; something to help me continue exercising my own imagination instead of having a box feed to me what I need to be thinking and feeling. I also feel weakened in that I'd rather watch a video than read text. I believe there is much to be gained in finding joy in a good book.
I've changed my post layout and now anyone can comment. Please tell me any other ideas you have for past time activities that is away from television or computers.

3 comments:

  1. it works!!! i know what you mean dude. we have "our shows" and its so tempting to watch them at the end of the day but when we do we dont interact as much.

    sometimes instead we play this game where one of us says the first two random words that come into our mind and the other person has to tell a story about it - usually ends up being random hilarious stuff we hadnt though about for years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh and I never sit in front of a television unless we are about to watch a movie which is seldomly. I have lost all sense for what I describe as "reality tv" which is basically every show that comes on in my opinon. On the radio they start talking about "Bachlorette", my friends ask if I've been watching American Idol, etc. It's non-stop all day but I don't feel quite so out of the loop. Josh and I love to read. Not necessarily the same book but in the same room. We play catch. Go to baseball games. Talk. I've gotten used to it now. He never watched tv and that was my escape after work. I don't even know why I have cable!! I'm wasting my money. It's weird at first but you find there are so many other ways to pass the time that don't make you feel like you just wasted an hour of your life. I hope all is well with the baby! Good luck to you and Sarah :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life Lessons:

    A sign of "maturity" is setting realistic priorities. Start by really knowing the meaning of "maturity", and "priorities". Think about each word, begin then to apply this into your life. Facebook, TV, etc. what is the priority, at the moment. Maturity, will help to decide that. Continue to grow...it does take time. Love ya. Mamaw

    ReplyDelete